Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Endurance and Revival



I haven’t posted for a bit mostly because I wasn’t feeling very positive for several weeks in fact I felt pissy  and didn't feel justified in whinging all over you all. My knee was fine but I was so wiped out all the time. It was very frustrating, feeling good when sitting like a lump but not having any juice when I stood up. Ya, ya, I know, three surgeries in a month is enough to suck anybody dry but I was even too tired to read and daytime tv sucks so bad. I started watching Ancient Aliens. And I liked it….somebody save me. 
 
But this week I’ve got enough energy to wear out my new knee! Today it is sore from pushing at physical therapy and I'm happy about it. About last week I got some of my energy back. Not all, I still get wiped out but I can do stuff, yay! I can vacuum, I’ve finally been up to the barn and I can drive for more than an hour, I can cook dinner, and empty the dishwasher and best of all I can take a shower and not have to sit down immediately. I can even shop for a while without using an electric scooter.  My left knee (the one that isn't replaced) can't keep up with the new shiny right knee, I will have it replaced Oct 15th. (Here I go again, although it should only take one surgery this time.)

So to catch you all up on what I've been doing on the fiber/fabric front: since it was cool enough to get into the studio a few times, I made 2 pairs of bike type shorts. I took my favorite pair that was wearing thin, laid it on the fabric and cut around them then sewed ‘em up on my serger. Took less than an hour each, they fit great and cost 1 yard of fabric. Gave me a lot more confidence in my pattern making skills, making elastic waistbands and using my serger.




And I'm working on some really cool embroidered pictures from the classes I took with Judith Baker Montano at Quilt Knit Stitch two weeks ago. I'm working on two, a landscape and an underwater scene. Her method uses lots of layers. I still working on the backgrounds which use small light and uncomplicated stitches on top of the fabric shapes that define the landscape. I'll be adding many more layers of heavier stitches as I work to the foreground.





No comments:

Post a Comment