Friday, December 21, 2012

Holiday Madness

A friend of mine reminded me that I hadn't posted in a long time. She was right. I've gotten really tied up in the making of gifts for the season.

I've been so busy making gifts that my holiday decorating has fallen behind. I set up my favorite manger scene this morning. I got it in Mexico about 30 years ago. I love the blobby shapes especially of the sheep and little babe.




 I've been sewing gifts for everybody, starting with birthday gifts for my daughter Lacee and my Mom, they have birthdays in November (yes I know it's Dec and I'm, ehh, a little late). To test out the pattern I made one for myself (I love it) out of left over fabric and after a couple of modifications I was ready to make the top for each of them. Well it turns out that not all fabrics work the same, Lacee's came out great soft rayons, and velvet. It was a fabulous feeling getting it wrapped and into the mail with all the other gifts for her family. Mom's not so much, wool crepe and wool suiting trim, the edges of the crepe kept slithering out of the serging and all the stress points of the top (shoulders, neck, under arm) pulled open. At first I tried to fix the tears but they just kept popping open, it's a total loss. I will try again with other fabrics. Her box will go in the mail today with all the little gifts but no top.

I've made fleece lap blankets for all 4 grandkids, fleece capes for Tiernan and Rowan (so they stop wearing  the one I made for their sister last year). Fleece is so easy to work with it makes me look good, it almost makes up for the wool crepe disaster. Since Caulla already had a cape I've started knitting her a poncho, I've started it 7 times! This time it looks to be the right size so I'll knit like crazy and hope to get it done in time, thankfully big needles and big yarn.

In between sewing gifts I have been working out my travelling Lazy Kate design. I've got it perfected and have a dozen made. Now to set up an Etsy page to sell them (maybe after the holidays and Mom's top). Pictures later.

I would like to share with you the gift I have made for my Step-Dad. I've always found it hard to find the right gift for him even though we share a love of cooking. This year he and Mom are down-sizing so "things" are not wanted. I'm sending him some of my favorite recipes. Here they are:



Mushu Cauliflower and Pork

I worked up this recipe one night when I had a hankering for Chinese and was too tired to drive into town. I didn’t have any cabbage so I substituted cauliflower and it worked so well it has become a family fave.

Fast and Easy Version
1 cauliflower, chopped into smallish flowerettes
2 boneless pork chops sliced
1 jar of Plum or Hoisin Sauce (we prefer plum)
Cooking oil
Salt
Sesame Oil
Soy Sauce
Corn Starch if needed
1 package of flour tortillas warmed
Green onions- optional slivered for garnish

Using a wok on high heat, saute’ pork in oil, remove meat from pan, put cauliflower into wok and sauté. After the edges of the cauliflower soften add a tablespoon of soy sauce and a dash of sesame oil and a ½ cup of water. Cover and cook the cauliflower to the texture you like. Add meat back into wok and add enough Plum Sauce to coat the meat and veggies. If the sauce is too wet boil off extra and let steam escape or add corn starch to thicken. Serve in warm tortillas with extra Plum Sauce and diced onion.

Harder and Messier Version
Same ingredients

Marinate pork in soy sauce and sesame oil for 1-4 hours, roll in corn starch, fry in small batches in wok until crispy. Set aside. Follow the rest of the recipe above but add the pork just before serving to keep the crunch. Enjoy.


Zucchini Patties

This is an old family favorite; our daughters wouldn’t eat zucchinis so I told them these were made with cucumbers. Yes that’s right, I lied to them. We eat them for breakfast or dinner and they are great left over if you have any left.

4-5 zucchini grated
½- 2 cups of Bisquick
4 or 5 large eggs
Salt
Garlic Powder if you like

Grate zucchini, I use my food processor, and if I have time I sprinkle them with a little salt, put them in a colander and let them drain for an hour or two. If I don’t have time I use them straight from the food processor and add more Bisquick to compensate. Put the zucchinis in a bowl and add eggs until it good and gushy. I like a lot of eggs in mine so the patties are more egg-ish than pancake-ish. (When Tim makes them he uses less egg and more Bisquick) If you didn’t drain the zucchinis add salt to taste and if you want to add the garlic powder at this time. Add the Bisquick until the mixture looks like pancake batter. If you prefer a more pancake style patty add more Bisquick and then thin with milk as needed. Fry like pancakes. We eat them with ketchup, or salsa and sour cream. These patties are very versatile; you can add grated onion, carrots or apple. Bacon bits or chopped ham are tasty too.

 Happy Holidays to you all!





1 comment:

  1. Will there eventually be pictures of the gifts you've been sewing? I hope after the holidays they show up on the blog......or were you like me and wrapped, boxed them up only to find you had forgotten to take pix? I did get a few pix but not many.

    ReplyDelete