Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Going to SOAR

I'm so excited! I'm heading off to SOAR on Saturday. I've wanted to go ever since I read about it in Spin Off  many years ago. This year I applied for a scholarship and lucky me, I got one!!!! A big thank you to the folks at Spin Off who provided me with this opportunity and the wonderful people who wrote my letters of recommendation, thank you again.

I've been planning this trip for weeks and it seemed like mid-October was years away but now I'm leaving in 4 days. How can it be so soon? I'm writing lists of what to bring. Soon I will be making a pile of spinning stuff and clothing to schlep into my car. It is so hard to decide what to bring. I want to cover all my fiber needs (so I have fewer excuses to shop) but it needs to fit into my car and since I have a friend who is riding with me, I only get half a car to fill. I think I'll take pics of the packing process for my next Post.

I signed up for 3 days of Deb Mentz's ABC's of Color so I'll be bringing my drum carder and all the rest of my fiber blending tools. Oh just remembered, I have to bring Deb's book so I can get her to sign it, onto the list it goes. Then I'm taking Judith McKenzie's Recycled Yarn and I need to bring my wheel, bobbins and a lazy kate.

Did I mention my wheel? I'd been looking at travel wheels for a few years, and the thought of hauling my Lendrum up and down hill at the altitude of Lake Tahoe made me choose to get one. I got a Sabrina Travel Wheel from Carson Cooper at ztwist.com, I was expecting to get his plain cherry wheel but what I got was a far from plain as could be. Here she is, meet "Silk"  She weighs less than 8 lbs and spins so smooth.

I'm totally besotted with her, designing a carry strap for her, buying a bag  for her to travel in. I've been so smitten you'd think she was a designer puppy. No, she is a metal rimmed wheel with beautifully turned parts of maple burl and curly cherry. Here we are, all ready to go


So now that I've resolved all the tools and fiber I'm taking I have to think about the clothes that I'm going to pack. Hmmmm...

2 comments:

  1. Wow - what a great little wheel! Have an outstanding time Loyce - can't wait to read about it all on the blog when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't wait to see you at SOAR. Clothes are over-rated - just bring a couple of outfits and plenty of underwear and you will be just fine.

    oh wait, I pack that way because I have to fly every time I go to SOAR. You are driving - heck - bring anything you want.

    I'm so glad you got the scholarship - can't think of anyone who deserves iit more - I'm sure that you will take what you learn and disseminate it widely thru the fiber community.

    talk to me about wood turning at some point next week - it's always fascinated me.

    ReplyDelete